Friday, September 18, 2009

Chicago part 1 of infinity.

Disclaimer: Seeing as how we think our computer is about to explode soon, this blog post-ness will be kind of journal-ish because I don't want to lose my pictures when our computer does indeed, explode. And our trip was AMAZING so who doesn't want to hear about it? I know. You do.

The participants: Emily Jones, Amy Hamblin, Greg Smith, Jordan Hatch, John Crismon

Chicago: Day/night 1
Yes, in this dark realm is where our hotel was. Let's just say we didn't take off our shoes, should have had an egg roll on our pillow instead of a mint, and we were the only white people staying there.
Apparently, "suite" in chinese must mean 2 twin sized beds. Because that hotel loved their twin beds.
I know. I should be a bed model.


Rolling into Chicago at almost midnight and being greeted with this is kind of sad. But, on the other hand, we did eat some tasty/authentic/slightly scary chinese food that night. The place was open until 4 am, how classy is that?
Even though our food was extremely questionable and we could hardly understand what our lady was talking about, did all the boys clean their plate? Of course. Boys=human garbage disposals. John loved his food so much, he made it known even with his leftovers.

Another thing about traveling with boys? They have no discretion about what pictures they post on facebook. Amy, me, and our friend Greg loving/hating our dinner. Yeah, it looks like Amy and Greg are praying over their dinner. That was a good idea. Lots of prayers needed to be offered for some of the food we ate while there. Yikes.



But, somehow the hotel hypnotized us into liking staying there, hence Amy and I's happy faces. Bad thing about Chicago: the humidity. This picture was CLEARLY taken at the beginning of our day because at the end, we had sweat off all our makeup, wanted to take 10 showers and our hair was little french fry sticks covered in grease/pollution. Just how you wanted to look around your friends and their unforgiving picture taking..

Like I said.

Day 2:


Architecture boat tour

So this had come highly recommended to us by several people. And it rocked. Who doesn't want to sit on a boat and listen to a guy talk about interesting stuff while not having to walk around? Awesome. Only thing that would have been better is if I did all this while eating candy corn and/or drinking a diet coke.

Greg and I loving our boat tour
The rest of the group, Amy, John and Jordan loving life.


But, sad face, it got really foggy.


Next stop: delicious Chicago pizza. Seriously, Chicago, you have ruined me. There is like 10 inches of cheese on their pizza. Life changing.

Amy could not control her excitement for the cheese on our pizza. And we asked our server if people asked for extra cheese on the cheese mountain they call pizza? They do.

Then we went to this really cool metal thing called The Bean. It just looks like a bean and is made out of shiny metal. It was awesome.

All of us taking pictures of us taking pictures of the bean. I know, amazing.

Next, I forced everyone to go to the Art Institute. It is one of the coolest art museums I have ever gone to (and I've kind of gone to a lot). And we needed some culture in our trip. From these pictures, you can tell who did and didn't want to go:

John and his girlfriend.
Us being awesome.

Inappropriate.



So, here's a little spoiler about Amy Hamblin. She kind of h8s art museums. Like medium to a lot. Amy next to her favorite painting.



I, on the other hand, am obsessed. And I made my art students, Jordan and Greg, be obsessed too.


Yeah, this is how we roll. We take pictures of awkward people. What would have been better? If anyone would have agreed to spoon next to him like I wanted.

Next, the Married with Children fountain. Awesome.

We love to ride the trains.
Look, it's me again. Apparently huge white sunglasses are meant only for summer/pool time.

This was sold out. And we were ticked. Note: the world goes to Chicago the second weekend in September. The WORLD.

Yeah, fyi, Navy Pier is lame.

Also lame? The Navy Pier ferris wheel.

Then we walked around more. Like we needed the exercise. And ate this for dinner.
Yeah, it was nasty. Chicago food + Emily=not friends.

Be excited, that was only day 1 and 2.

9 comments:

Amy said...

This made me laugh really hard! I love Chicago...it was so fun and SO many memories. Now, I just need to post on my blog!

granny said...

and a good time was had by all, it seems....

happyfamily said...

What is that food????????

You stayed in Chinatown?!

You went to Navy Pier?!

Obviously I needed to come up with a few more suggestions.....


I love it- would have loved going to the museum with you- one of my fave places. I like in the art institute how there is a Seurat study of that painting in the hall before you actually get to the room with the huge painting. I used to tell people that the study was the actual thing- they believed me until they got in that room.

Ahhhh, the memories.

thegreatestshowonearth said...

Can not wait for the rest of the trip. Wish I could have went! I would have agreed to spoon the man on the bench, nay I would have insisted on spooning the man on the bench. Hope I am invited next time. Just sayin...
xoxo,
A

The Murrishes said...

LOVE the Ferris Bueller Seurat photo! If only you could add music..."Please please please, let me let me let, let me get what I want this time". -The Cure

Anonymous said...

you are funny. love you and your blogging.

Lindsey said...

This post made me LOL, laugh oh lot. Two things:

1. I hear bed modeling is a lucrative career. I don't know. That's just what I heard.

2. I have to agree with Amy on art museums, I'd rather watch my grandma knit.

Also, one of our flights had a layover in Chicago so I told Chris we should go back and visit someday. He said we would if I could name one landmark in Chicago. Long story short, I was denied. Damn, if I had just read your blog before I opened my mouth. The BEAN is in Chicago. dhur.

ForeverSarahLee said...

That food just LOOKS gross!

Looks like y'all had a blast though. Kinda jealous. Glad you had a good time! :o) Love the pics & posts Em!

ForeverSarahLee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.